Strategic Aspects for Internet Governance and Innovations
ITU e-Learning Course
4-11 March 2019
Internet and IP protocol is the winning technology in current telecommunications world. “Over IP” is the concept that can be considered in the context of almost all today’s telecommunications services. Good understanding of this “IP world” requires not only knowledge of technical aspects, of the IP technology, but also strategic, political business issues.
The course aims at presenting the current process of innovations in Internet from all of these important perspective of view.
The course is addressed to corporate executives and managers, policy makers, regulators, i.e. middle-level managers, administrators, officials and engineers dealing with planning, developing, implementing and managing current and future telecom networks.
At the end of the training, the participant should have gained an understanding
of the key aspects of:
- Convergence in Telecommunications toward Internet
- Broadband Strategies and Innovations
- Internet Standardization and Policy
- Innovation management in ICT
- Google model vs. Apple model
- Mobile and Internet telephony
- IPTV innovations
- Innovative services and applications
- Network neutrality
- Management and regulation of Internet
1. Convergence in Telecommunications toward Internet
- Development of the telecommunications
- Global development of ICT
- General telephone architecture
- Signaling in telephony network
- Internet architecture
- Internet name spaces
- Internet governance – main players, main contributors
- Legacy telecommunications vs. Internet
- Number of individual Internet users globally
- Internet users globally
- Trends in communication sector
- Fixed telephony subscription globally
- Fixed broandband subscriptions
- House-Holds with Internet access
- Mobile subsciptions globally
- Convergence of telecommunications to IP-based networks and services
- Definition of Convergence
- Convergence: Benefits
- Definition of NGN
- Main Drivers towards NGN
- NGN Transport and Service Stratums
- NGN Standardization Process
- Standardization Synergy of ITU, IETF, 3GPP and IEEE
- The „Old Way” and the „New Way”
- The NGN Concept
- All-IP Network Concept
- Control and Media Connectivity to NGN
- NGN Functional Architecture
- NGN Control Architecture
2. Broadband Strategies and Innovations
- Broadband definition
- ITU-T, ITU-R, ITU-D – work on broadband
- Cable networks
- IUT’s IMT-Advanced umbrella for mobile broadband Internet
- 3GPP Releases Timeline: from UMTS to LTE and LTE-Advanced
- 4G standard by IEEE: Mobile WiMAX 2.0
- Mobile broadband Internet speeds
- Fixed-Mobile Convergence (FMC)
- IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) for the practical FMC
- Broadband markets
- Broadband economic impact
- Information Technology: Investments and Workers playground
- Relationship between ICT and productivity?
- Network effects of broadband on employment
- Employment creation with broadband
- Economic impact of broadband. Case studies: United States, Germany, countries.
- National broadband strategies
3. Telecom Standardization and Policy
- Licensing and Authorization
- Licensing objectives and types
- What to do with regulation?
- Licensing objectives and policies
- Lincense types
- Global standards making and compliance
- The need for standards
- Another definition for ICT standards
- Who is Who?
- Bridging the standards divide
- ITU Ladder of standardization development
- Going mobile: managing the spectrum
- The need for spectum management?
- Impact of the spectrum management
- Traditional approaches and recent innovations
- Radio frequency propagation and related services
- IMT spectrum (3G and 4G mobile broadband)
- Unlicensed spectrum
- When spectrum needs regulation?
- UK Unlicensed bands
- The digital dividend
- Access and Interconnection
- Traditional telecom interconnection
- Interconnection between Best-Effort IP networks
- Interconnection between IP-based and PSTN networks
- Universal Access and Service
- Digital Literacy and e-Inclusion
4. Innovation management in ICT
- ICT innovations wordwide
- Survey of 668 global technology leaders
- What are future innovative technologies
- Next technology breakthrough in near future?
- The cloud storms as a disruptive force
- Media Cloud
- Cloud markets globally
- Cloud Computing in China
- Mobile madness
- Which of the following industry players will lead the mobile payments market share over the next several years?
- Challenges and benefits from cloud and mobile adoption
- Main barriers to commercialize disruptive technology innovations
- Security and privacy threats: acceptable risks for speedy innovations?
- Innovation management
- Where innovation starts in a company?
- Where innovation is spotted?
- Inspiration for innovation
- Educational system and innovations
- Educational system standing point: China vs. USA
- Leading innovators worldwide
- But, can innovation be thought or it is self-driven and case-by-case specific?
- Leading companies driving disruptive technology innovation
- What are some key innovations?
- Where will the next tech breakthrough occur: startups, multinationals, labs?
- How is innovation fostered at IBM?
- How important are acquisitions in the mix for IBM to generate growth in new areas?
- What do you see as the main barriers for the adoption of new technologies among businesses?
- How do you see social media evolving?
- Countries and ICT innovations
5. Google model vs. Apple iPhone model
- Asymmetric business model
- OTT and Telco relations
- OTT vs. Telcos comparison
- Business models
- Who is who?
- Apple innovation strategy
- Apple innovation model
- Google innovation model
- Google and the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Innovations lead to revenues
- Revenues strategies of Google and Apple
- Market capitalization comparison of Google and Apple
- What is next in Google innovations?
- Market share for Android and iOS
- Samsung role in Apple vs. Google market battle
- OS (Operating System) usage statistics
- Example about the trust itself
6. Mobile and Internet telephony
- Where is telephony today?
- Technology side of telephony
- Naming and addressing schemes
- ENUM types
- Identifiers in NGN
- Naming-numbering and address resolution in NGN
- QoS-Enabled VoIP in NGN
- IMS-based evolution of PSTN/PLMN to NGN
- PSTN/ISDN emulation and simulation in NGN
- Establishing QoS-enabled VoIP service between mobile operators
- QoS-enabled VoIP data transfer between mobile operators
- Regulation side of the telephony
- Voice minutes of use per subscription
- Voice revenues per minute
- Business aspects
- Service revenues for european mobile operators 2000-2010
- Traffic forecast 2012-2020
- Voice over mobile network evolution
- The battle for mobile revenues
- Skype, Viber and WhatsApp are OTT services that influence fixed and mobile telephony
- MNOs will be challenged by an increase in mobile traffic and some shift in revenues
7. IPTV innovations
- Average TV consumption per user (in minutes per day)
- What is IPTV?
- ITU definition of IPTV
- But, where the TV is going?
- IPTV Telco architecture
- Types of IPTV architectures
- IPTV service models
- NGN IMS-based IPTV functional architecture
- IMS-based IPTV session setup
- Mobile TV
- IPTV over WiMAX and WiFi
- Multicast and broadcast multimedia system (MBMS)
- Evolved MBMS architecture
- IPTV QoE
- IPTV features and market needs
- IPTV architectures
- Over-The-Top (OTT) television
- Business models
- IPTV and OTT innovations
8. Innovative services and applications
- New service development cycle
- Service innovation
- Service system design and innovation
- Service system design tools
- Cloud computing
- Service models for cloud computing
- Media clouds
- What is the Internet of Things (IoT)?
- The application of IoT
- State of the Art of IoT
- Web of Things (WoT)
- Smart home
- 5G: Toward the future mobile broadband
- 5G foreseen networks and services
- ITU’s work on 5G
9. Network neutrality
- Network neutrality – proponents and opponents
- Network neutrality – recent events
- Introduction to network neutrality and QoS
- Definitions from regulation point of view
- Big picture: end-to-end Internet Communication
- Degradations of Internet Service
- End Users Rights and NRAs
- Main regulatory goals on QoS
- Technical Aspects to Consider in Regulation Processes
- Relevant market developments
- Revenues and Business
- Emerging business models
- Differentiation of Internet access service offers
- High-level regulatory process description
- Examples of cases with degradation
- Degradation of the Internet access service (IAS) as a whole
- Assess situation: Is regulatory intervention neede?
- Degradation of Internet access service with regard to individual applications
- Assess situation: Is regulatory intervention needed?
- Tools and criteria for regulatory intervention
- Questrions for an NRA to consider regarding the intervention
- Circumstances in which QoS regulation is desirable
10. Management and regulation of Internet
- Who makes the global rules?
- Who standardizes Internet?
- Who manages the Internet?
- What is Internet governance?
- What includes the Internet governance?
- Internet governance historical legacy
- Internet society approach to Internet governance
- Main challenges for Internet governance according to the Internet Society
- Internet governance discussion
- ITU’s guidelines for QoS regulation
- QoS regulation approaches
- Fundamentals of QoS regulation
- Jurisdiction for QoS regulation
- Measurements aspects of QoS regulation
- Activities in QoS regulation
- Recommended approach
- SLA and QoS regulation
- Criteria for QoS parameters
- Formulation of the target levels, measurement methods, and reporting
An example of the course materials.
Prof. Toni Janevski
Dr. Toni Janevski is a Full Professor in Telecommunications at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technologies, Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje, Macedonia.
He received his Dipl. Ing., M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technologies, Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje, in 1996, 1999 and 2001, respectively.
In the past, during 1996-1999 he has worked at the Macedonian GSM 900 mobile operator Mobimak (today T-Mobile, Macedonia) on the cell planning and dimensioning of cellular network, as well as traffic and performance analyses.
From 1999 he is with Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technologies in Skopje.
In 2001 he has conducted research in optical communication at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, New York. From May 2005 until October 2008 he was member of the Commission of the Agency for Electronic Communications (AEC) of Republic of Macedonia.
He is the author of the books titled “Traffic Analysis and Design of Wireless IP Networks”, which is published in 2003 by Artech House Inc, Boston, USA and „Internet Technologies for Fixed and Mobile Networks”, Artech House, USA, November 2015.
He has published more than 100 scientific papers.
He lectured and tutored ITU (International Telecommunication Union) workshops and elearning courses on: WiMAX, Broadband Communications and Access Networks, HSPA and LTE: towards the Next Generation of Mobile Networks, Emerging Information and Communication Technologies, Next Generation Networks, The Networks of The Future, technical Aspects of LTE Systems Implementation.
His interests include Internet Technologies, Mobile, Wireless and Multimedia networks, Information Technology, Traffic Theory, Quality of Service, as well as Dimensioning, Planning and Optimization of Telecommunication Networks.
He is a Senior Member of IEEE.
Course Date (Duration)
4-11 March 2019 (8 days)
E-Learning Course. The course methodology will be as follows:
- Each day from 4 to 8 March 2019 there will be made available two recorded video lectures, which are recorded in the face-to-face ITU Centre of Excellence workshop organised by National Institute of Telecommunications in Poland. In total there are 10 video lectures during the course.
- Discussion forum will be organized based on discussion topics given on a daily basis, where students are highly encouraged to participate and interact with instructors and other students.
- Quiz test will be assigned on the last day of the course, 11 March 2019.
- All announcements for all events (lectures, quiz and forum) will be given in a timely manner (prior to the event) by the course tutor.
At the end of the course participants will take part in a written test checking the level of knowledge gained during the training.
STEP 1 – Login into ITU Academy
In order to access this course you need to have a valid account in ITU Academy. First, you should login into the ITU Academy with your ITU Academy account via the login page: https://academy.itu.int
If you have no valid account in ITU Academy follow this steps: Registartion process
STEP 2 – Registration into this course
After login into ITU Academy, select the course „Strategic Aspects for Internet Governance and Innovations” by using the link:
1. Invitation letter
2. Training Outline
Szanowni Państwo, Serdecznie zapraszamy do udziału w szkoleniu Zarządzanie zespołem dla kierowników, które odbędzie się w dniach 21-22 luty 2019, w Instytucie Łączności w Warszawie. Szczegółowy program szkolenia jak również zasady uczestnictwa w nim podane są na...
Szanowni Państwo, Serdecznie zapraszamy do udziału w szkoleniu Pasywna InterModulacja (PIM) w torach transmisyjnych, które odbędzie się w dniu 3 grudnia 2018 r. Szkolenie będzie miało zarówno charakter teoretyczny jak i praktyczny. Bliższe informacje na temat programu...
Szanowni Państwo, Serdecznie zapraszamy do udziału w szkoleniu „RODO w telekomunikacji – ochrona danych osobowych w branży telekomunikacyjnej” które odbędzie się w dniach 13-14 listopada 2018 r, w Ośrodku Szkolenia Instytutu Łączności, w Warszawie. W ramach szkolenia...
Subskrybuj nasz Newsletter
Otrzymasz dostęp do darmowych materiałów szkoleniowych
i nie przegapisz żadnej z istotnych naszych inicjatyw.
Szanowni Państwo, Serdecznie zapraszamy do udziału w szkoleniu Zarządzanie zespołem dla kierowników, które odbędzie się w dniach 21-22 luty 2019, w Instytucie Łączności w Warszawie. Szczegółowy program szkolenia jak również zasady uczestnictwa w nim podane są na...czytaj dalej